Sunday 5 September 2010

Banyaks

We arrived at a sheltered anchorage on Tuangku island at 2.00am after pretty much motoring for 18 hours. I can’t say I had the best nights sleep due partly to the sound of mosquitoes. The motor was overdue for its 100 hour service. It had been exactly a month since I had last changed the engine oil before entering Indonesian waters. After servicing the engine I followed “Glayva” to the Bay of Plenty (BOP) – a beautiful, safe anchorage with 3 surf breaks – two lefts and a right. BOP had more natural vegetation than other anchorages as there was less habitation and coconut palm plantation. There were several freshwater creeks entering the bay – great for doing the laundry. There was not much swell the first few days so lazy days were spent on the beach in the cool shade of the trees, exploring and watching the antics of the many hermit crabs. I was able to fill the water tanks on “Sadiqi” as it rained heavily on one day. The one day the old dog attempted the new trick, surfing, again he got a right drowning and bounced over the reef. A little too shallow for the old dog!
Fishing – One thing I have discovered is that in order to catch a fish you have to first get the hook wet. I actually bought a fish off some local fisherman for a change in diet. My one attempt at fishing at Sipika delivered me a horrible slimy sucker fish. I had tried trawling a lure several times with little success. Something that I am going to have to work on – the catching of fish that is.
I started to get itchy feet again and it was time to move on. Friday August 27 I departed BOP and headed to Babi Island followed by “Glayva” This was a day motor – 40 miles passing the uninhabited island of Bangkaru on the way.