Sunday 5 September 2010

Babi


Pulau Babi and the neighbouring island of Lasia are absolutely beautiful – the water was crystal clear – I could see every detail of Sadiqi’s anchor in 7 metres of water, great for snorkelling.
These two islands are not permanently inhabited and have mainly natural vegetation – no coconut plantations or cultivation. After several days at Babi I, literally, got itchy feet. I went ashore to burn rubbish and was bitten by sand flies, something I react quite badly to. To compound it I also had a prickly heat rash so the itch was all over!

I left Pulau Babi and passed the island of Lasia onTuesday August 31, headed for Labuhanbajau the southern end Pulau Simeulue. I tried trawling for fish as I motored north, even tried several different lures. Judging by the fish jumping out of the water, not too far away, and birds feeding on them I did not have the right lure or technique.