Wednesday 26 January 2011

Phuket to Langkawi

I Cleared Customs and Immigration at Ao Chalong, Phuket Monday January 26, then at 6.30am the following day headed for Ko Lanta a trip of some 40 nautical miles. There was a good 15 to 25 knot east north east wind for most of the trip, which meant I was able to give the motor a well earned rest. It also meant if was beating to windward, something I had not done for awhile. The seas were not that deep, less than 50 metres, which made for short, sharp and choppy waves with the more than odd green wave with white spume crashing down the deck. This was a good test for the deck leaks – I’m pleased to say that the worst deck leak, near the anchor locker, is now fixed. After making several tacks I finally arrived at the south end of Ko Lanta at 21.00. Going into an unknown anchorage at night is not recommended and is something I try to avoid wherever possible. Thank goodness for the Standard Horizon CP500 GPS Chartplotter. I could see the anchor lights of several other yachts in the small bay. The anchorage was not the best as a swell came around the southern tip of the island making for an uncomfortable night.

The next day I departed Ko Lanta and heading for Ko Muk/Mook as I thought it was worth a second look. This was an easy sail of 15 nautical miles. I found a secluded, very sheltered bay to the west of the Ko Muk and rested up there. I had planned in visiting a deep cave that you have to swim to get to. However, one look at the queue of life jacket clad tourists in the boats around the cave entrance quickly convinced my otherwise.


At just after 6.00 on Saturday morning January 29 I hauled the anchor and headed south east to ward Ko Tarutao some 40 nautical miles away. Initially there was very little wind and I motored sailed trying to maintain 4 knots to make for a good passage.
I was none to keen on finding anchorages in the dark again. At around mid day when I was near Ko Phetra the wind picked up and was blowing 15 to 20 knots from the north east. I was able to give the motor a rest again and sail doing 4.5 to 5 knots of speed. The island formations in this area are amazing with huge tree topped granite structures rising vertically out of the water like colossal pillars several hundred feet high. The wind steadily increased with gusts up to 30 knots Sadiqi was making 6 knots through the water on occasion.
The short sharp swell hindering her at times. Smithy (Windpilot) was doing an exemplary job of steering the boat in trying conditions. I sailed passed Ko Bulon Le where I had stopped before.

At 16.30 I dropped the anchor in a sheltered Ao Pante Malaka on the north western end of Tarutao island. It had been one of the best sailing days I’d had for ages as there was a decent breeze. There was only one other yacht in the bay. Franz, who I met before on Lankawi, came by with his two young sons to say good day on their way to the beach.