Saturday 15 January 2011

Ao Chalong and the chores

Planning preparation and provisioning for the next leg of the adventure:
Repairing sails – patching the staysail.
Servicing winches and equipment.
Replacing some running rigging – wear and tear and chafing of sheets.
Finding a suitable place to haul Sadiqi out of the water for hull maintenance.
Fixing slow air leaks in the dingy.
Finding and fixing deck leaks – still!

Rex from “Pequad” met up with me briefly. I mentioned I’d called my outboard motor after him “Sepo Rex”, and advised him that if his ears were ever ringing it would be me cursing his namesake. The outboard still sounds like an angry little cement mixer. His generosity and gratitude for rescuing “Pequad” knew no bounds and was non existent. Hopefully he is more adept at anchoring than he has been on his way back to the states via Madagascar and Africa.

Working on the leak in the fore cabin again! This time I removed the starboard forward part of the wooden rubbing strake to seal the leaks. This was no easy job. First I had to find a relatively sheltered anchorage and that was not Ao Chalong in a north easterly breeze. I motored over the Ban Nit, just over a mile away on the north eastern side of the bay. I did find one likely candidate for the fore cabin leak. One of those boat building undocumented design features – a hole drilled through the hull covered by the wooden rubbing strake, that went through to the anchor locker bulk head. In desperation of fixing the leak I also cut a section of the anchor locker bulkhead out where it attaches to the hull and filled it with epoxy resin.