Thursday 28 March 2013

Namibia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namibia

Namibian dollar exchange rate on a par with South African Rand.
AU$ 1 = NA$ 9.50

Walvis Bay
There was a very refreshing lack of the formidable security that is so omnipresent in South Africa. Some of the houses were fenced or walled but there was very little razor wire, electric fences and "Armed Response" security signs around. 

Flamingos in Walvis Bay Lagoon
More work on the boat - fixing diesel leaks and servicing the engine. Olli had a good laugh at my expense, when over a beer, I referred to all the leaks on the boat. He suggested I should rename the boat "Leak". Oh, if it was not so true.

After "Fagel Bla" departed for St Helena I met up with Mac and his kids on "Moonbeam" a beautiful 45' Schooner. I'd had met Mac in East London while I was there.

I hired a car and had the pleasure of Mac and the "Moonbeam" crew for a visit to Swakopmund - 35 Ks north of Walvis Bay. I was surprised at the housing developments along the coast - very extensive and expensive. The huge sand dunes extend about 2 kilometres inland. I would have liked to explore more of Namibia but alas the budget had taken a severe beating in South Africa and I was keen to head to warmer waters. Like Madagascar it would be worth a second visit. 

Where the desert meets the sea
All to soon it was time to leave. Walvis Bay was a good place to provision the boat. I was able to get small single servings of meat vacuum packed for the trip. There was good fresh produce, unfortunately it had been chilled so would not last very long. Most fresh produce seems to come from South Africa. The Walvis Bay Yacht Club was very friendly and Linda the club manager was very helpful.

It is not very often that one gets to see a sunrise along the Namibian coast with the all pervading fog. On the day of departure the winds were calm, temperature mild and the sun rose. 

Sunrise over Walvis Bay