Friday 1 March 2013

Climbing Table Mountain

My time in Cape Town was running out. I persuaded Saskai, who persuaded her daughter Melisa, to walk up Table Mountain. Melisa had done the climb several times with friends and led the way taking us up the one of the most difficult climbs "Indian Venster" route. On nearing the top and seeing the signs warning people that this was a dangerous route I did wonder what I had been thinking to do the climb with youngsters again. It was one of the most challenging climbs I have done. On reaching the top we discovered that the Cable Car was not operating due to strong winds. I was so hoping to travel down by cable car. The wind was strong and icy cold at the top of the mountain.
Cape Town from lower Cable Car Station
 Lions Head
Protea
Pole Dancing on the mountain - the sign says it all
The summit looking down at lower Cable Car Station and Cape Town

Down Platteklip Gorge Route
On the way down we chose the easier Platteklip Gorge Route. By the time we reached the bottom, some 5 hours after starting the ascent, my legs were like jelly. The upper Cable Car station is 1050 metres above sea level. After a substantial breakfast and with aching muscles we all had an afternoon nap.