Friday 7 October 2011

Butangs excursion

An excursion to the Butangs to meet up with Perth sailing friends and fellow Yacht Club members who chartered a yacht “Sweet Sue” from Phuket:
  • Zac and Anne – Volare
  • Barry and Anne – Momentum.
Friday October 7 I hauled anchor at first light to get and early start for the 25 mile trip to the Butangs. The winds were light, and as usual from the direction in which I was headed – North East. While motoring along and once I reached the clear blue water after leaving Langkawi I threw the fishing lure out. On several occasions I watched good size fish leap out of the water, usually with a small flock of sea birds chumming the waters. Eventually a fish must have had the temerity to take my lure as I noticed that there was no tension or vibration on the line. Alas, said fish had decided to make off with the lure breaking the 60 pound steel trace.
Sweet Sue
I rounded Ko Adang, past the east most mooring of Ko Rawi and headed to the southerly sheltered centre of Ko Rawi where I found “Sweet Sue” anchored. “Sweet Sue” is a 42 foot Jeanneau charter boat – very spacious. After dropping anchor and tidying Sadiqi I swam across and set about the serious business of reacquainting ourselves over a few beers. As it did when friends Rob and Sue visited Langkawi it seemed quite surreal to be in South East Asia with Sadiqi bobbing not far away. I dragged the Cobb bbq out of its storage spot, made a pizza base dough and took the whole lot over to Sweet Sue and made pizza.
Dinner on board Sweet Sue
The following day we decided to visit the nefarious little island of Ko Lipe. On the way over to Ko Lipe the Volvo engine stalled with a blocked fuel filter – the diesel bug having got the better of the primary fuel filter again! I managed to anchor sailing with just the jib up. I changed the fuel filter and all was good with the Volvo again. Have to keep Volvo happy.
We all ventured ashore to Ko Lipe – not the best shelter in the South West Monsoon. W had a very pleasant meal at the exorbitant price of not much more than AU$6.00 each. Ko Lipe pretty much closes during the wet South West Monsoon – so there was not much open. Places were just starting to gear up for the coming tourist season November to April.

During the night the wind shifted to the South East making for a bumpy, rolly night, added to that was the sound of to the anchor chain trying to saw through rock. When I had anchored the depth had been12 meters under the keel, when I hauled anchor in the morning there was 2.5 metres under the keel.

We had planned to anchor off Ko Tanga and have breakfast before heading our separate ways. The weather put paid to that when a storm front loomed, to the point that the fishing boats were also heading for shelter. I opted to head for the open water and headed south east back to Langkawi. “Sweet Sue” did likewise and headed north east for the shelter of Ko Bulon.