Friday 10 June 2011

Jobs – installing a Radar Scanner.

Time to install the Radar scanner that I had bought back in March. I Motor sailed to Kuah Town to get supplies.I had already installed the scanner mount from Scanstrut with help from Toby while he was here.

I needed to run a new conduit inside the mast – to protect the cable and stop the cable slapping the mast when the boat rolled. I have listened to cable slapping against the mast on other boats at anchor to know I did not want to do listen to that all the time.
I tried to find a quiet anchorage to do the work on the mast and headed for the fiords – Langkawi’s south western islands.
Langkawi Fiords
Being able to lower the mast I was able to push the 5 metres of conduit up the mast. The trick was attaching the conduit to the mast, then running the cable down the conduit. The conduit was attached using aluminium pop rivets. At the top and bottom of the conduit I had sufficient access to be able to lever the conduit against the mast to drill and pop rivet it in place. In the centre I had to drill a second hole to the side and use a thin Hex or Allen Key to pull the conduit against the mast to drill and rivet it.
Running the cable down the mast was a mission requiring many trips up and down the mast to feed and pull the cable. The cables are yet to be connected.