Saturday 4 December 2010

Langkawi – Kuah - continued

I noticed the boat batteries were struggling. The Stecca solar regulator showed the batteries, when charging, only reaching 80 percent of their capacity. While I as at Rebak Marina and had access to 240 volt AC power I charged the batteries. At one time I noticed the charging voltage peak at over 15 volts. This is some sort of equalisation charge. Being mindful of battery charging I know this was not good for sealed, no maintenance lead acid batteries. The electrolyte was likely to boil and gas, reducing the electrolyte which can not be added back. Otherwise the batteries, ACDelco (lead calcium), 5 years old, have performed very well.

Just as well I gave up on the idea of going to Andermans. Claude and Nelson went to Penang to get an Indian visa to go to Cochin India and were told that no tourist visas will be issued to any foreigners in Malaysia and Thailand. They are having to fly to Perth WA to get a visa for India. It was sad to say good bye to Nelson and Claude, I cooked up a dinner of Pad Thai for them onboard Sadiqi the night before I left Kuah, Bass Harbour.


Boat maintenance in exotic locations. After a few days in Bass Harbour getting provisions etc,. I got itchy feet it was time to move. I had been told about the fiord like bays and islands to the south of the Langkawi archipelago and decided to head there. There not being much wind I motored all the way in the shelter of the high islands.


I found the leak, well thought I had, that turned the fore cabin fo'c'sle into a swamp with squishy wet foam matrasses and damp wall carpet exuding the odour of damp Labrador. The swamp monster hopefully has been exorcised.

While working on the boat and exploring the islands I watched the sea eagles leisurely soar about the rocky, jungle covered islands. I observed one eagle lock talons onto the prey of another eagle in flight and spiral down for a short distance. This seemed to be more a game than survival tactics. The Sea Eagles had a similar call, not as piercing, as that of the Fish Eagles on the Zambezi river. There are two birds of prey in Langkawi the Sea eagle and a kite. The Kite being more common and brown. It was very peaceful to be away from the hassle and bustle of Bass Harbour. The islands with jungle tenaciously clinging to the steep rocks almost appeared to float on the flat water. Alas, the water was not very clear for snorkelling of scuba diving with visibility at around a meter. I could hardly see the propeller while cleaning it under the water.

I needed to find some shelter form the swell to work on the toe rail of the boat. The toe rail is and aluminium extrusion attached to the edge of the deck with about 60 nuts and bolts on each side. I thought I had found a sheltered cove. I made the unfortunate mistake of dropping anchor near one of the tourist Fish Eagle feeding spots. A procession of small traditional boats, with the so called traditional outboard motor, carrying tourists sped into the bay, for several minutes before speeding away to the next tourist spot. The tour guides throw fish or chicken skins to attract the eagles that then do their performance and take off. After the 50th tour boat came through I had had enough and had to leave. It was hardly a sheltered bay.