Monday 11 October 2010

Phuket Au Chalong

On arriving back at Au Chalong and the Sand Bar where I had tied the dingy I noticed that it had been moved to a new tie off line. Brent, from the Sand Bar was surprised and relieved to see me back so soon and told the story of my dingy going missing. The dingy had filled with water in the heavy rain, the high tides and strong winds had broken the line on which it was tied. The other hard tender that had been attached to the same line was still missing. My dingy had been found by some fishermen who had reported it to the police. Brent had paid US$60 for its recovery. It could have been worse I could have lost the dingy and outboard motor all together!

Sadiqi had drifted about 20 metres on the anchor and fortunately had not hit any other boats or been hit by other drifting boats. Fortunately, “B-anchor” the CQR had held reasonably well in the muddy bottom and just buried itself deeper. Rex, who had been keeping an eye on Sadiqi, had had a tough night when the mooring his boat “Piquad” had been attached to parted and he nearly ended up on the beach. He had to kedge himself off at 2.00 am! Apparently several other boats had ended up on the beach. I had been lucky. However, the experience has not given me much confidence in leaving the boat at anchor for any length of time.