Thursday 7 October 2010

Bangkok


The train arrived at Bangkok station at 10.00pm. I took a taxi to a hotel in the Silom area and briefly wondered around the seedy, raunchy Phatpong area before going to bed. The streets of Silom by night were completely different during the day with the temporary stalls selling very different wares. Bangkok was frenetic, busy and hot. I had intended to do some tours around Bangkok and take an overnight bus to Phuket. I was overwhelmed and decided to get the first available flight back to Phuket and the boat. The train to the airport was easy and very pleasant.

The AirAsia flight from Bangkok to Phuket cost US$140. I think the difference in price had something to do with flying out of Bangkok’s fancy new huge airport terminals and me sitting toward the front of the plane. The pleasant flight took just over an hour.