Monday 16 May 2016

New Zealand to Fiji and warmer waters



It was time to escape the cold and damp New Zealand. I managed to pick a reasonable weather window to depart from Opua on Monday May 16 after most of the fleet plus 2 rallies had left. The boats that left on May 11, 12, 13 and 14 had several days of motoring close to New Zealand. I was surprised at the number of boats that departed on Friday the 13th. Maybe I am superstitious after all.

Sadiqi and I took a bit of a beating the first night out, which challenged my sea legs or lack of – somewhat. NW winds up to about 30 knots (True) around midnight with rain squalls. Beer o clock was missed on a few days due to the skipper not feeling the best. We were easily averaging 5 to 6 knots for the first 7 days of the passage. 
Mackerel sky before the storm
We copped the top end of a large weather system that caught NZ on the following Saturday night. Another queasy stomach episode - food became overrated for fear of having it twice. The south island, I believe, got its first snow falls for the season. Sadiqi was around 600 miles north of New Zealand near Minerva Reefs when the weather system passed over NZ north island. The strongest winds, 25 to 35 knots (True), from SW came through Sunday morning for a few hours before easing below 20 knots. Sailing with partial main sail (3 + reefs) and partially furled head sail – still averaging 5 knots I sloppy seas. 
 
At around 6am Sunday Sadiqi was knocked down by a breaking wave smacking the port aft quarter. The seas and swell had been picking up during the night to around 3 to 4 metres. I was laying in the bunk and heard the wave breaking and felt her as she started to lurch to starboard. I grabbed the hand rail to stop myself from being flung across the saloon. The new stove was baptised with salt water splashing through the closed companionway hatches. Most things not secured on the port side ended up somewhere on the starboard side. It took awhile to clean up the mess. She was sailing with partial main sail (3 + reefs) and partially furled head sail. I hand steered for several hours after that giving ‘Smithy’ the WindPilot a rest. 
Red sky toward night - after the storm
I managed to haul up Big Bertha for several hours on the second last day. Eventually the wind headed us and I had to drop the Asymmetrical spinnaker. Ken, the pRaymarine autopilot did an exemplary job in the light airs. 
Motoring north


Glassy seas
I emailed a status reports to Yachts in Transit – Gulf Harbour Radio most days. I had problems with the antenna lead wire, which I fixed, but the microphone needs more attention. 
 

Sadiqi arrived back in Savusavu, Fiji after a reasonable 10 day passage. There was a lot of motoring and where possible motor sailing due to light winds - if any - 72 engine hours!

I picked up a mooring at Waitui Marina at 1000am May 26. Sadiqi had followed the large cruise ship, the ‘Sun Princess’, into the bay. 

Most of the last 3 days were spent motor sailing - due to lack of wind - usually on the nose - what their was of it. Other boats wanting to leave NZ after I did had to wait until the beginning of June for the next good weather window.

The officials were brought to Sadiqi by the Waitui boatman. Much paper was shuffled, signed and invoices issued. Having gone through the process last year I was less intimidated and I was soon cleared into Fiji. Savusavu is an "easy" place. The temperature here is a lovely 30 degrees most days. The Waitui Marina has character more than it has anything else. 

Savusavu got a fair whack from cyclone Winston when it came through a few months ago. Apparently, with the strongest winds -185 knots - for a cyclone in the southern Pacific! 20 boats were washed up on the shore in Savusavu. The Waitui marina dinghy dock was destroyed and is a work in progress.