Thursday 19 November 2015

New Zealand




Opua - misty morning
After several days on a mooring near Opua Sadiqi's skipper felt like he was starting to emerge from under the rock that he seemed to have crawled shortly after leaving Australia. Times had moved on in the first world, despite the miles sailed, the skipper had not. A few weeks, either moored or anchored near Opua in the beautiful Bay of Islands, I motored two miles and anchored near the Russell Boat Club. Russell is an enchanting small town.
Russell Boat Club
Sadiqi will be hauled out of the water for some extensive maintenance projects. The to-do list is almost dauntingly long. I have written about maintenance work before and won't repeat myself so won't be updating the blog for quite some time. Maybe I'll go through and correct spelling, gramma and punctuation – the bears didn't make good proof readers. I have a great deal of work to do on Sadiqi before heading back north to the islands once the cyclone season is over.

This has been a huge year of sailing. Since leaving Panama in January 2015 Sadiqi has sailed close to 8,000 miles, that's a third of the circumference of the earth. It has been an amazing adventure so far. I am still living the dream and I have no regrets. I'd like to thank all those who supported me on this adventure and helped make it possible. A huge thank you to Pats who handled my mail and paid the bills back in the “real world”. Another huge thank you to the ship's surgeon Rob and Susan for medical advice and words of wisdom. Thanks to the many interesting and fun people I've met along the way who became friends. Thanks also to you who have read this Sadiqi blog. This blog has given me the opportunity to share the adventure. With close to 49,000 hits I guess some people managed to tolerate my, deliberate of course, spelling and grammatical blunders. Thanks to those who gently offered suggestions and corrections. I'm grateful to Google for providing the service free of direct charges.

Sadiqi will continue to chase sunsets. 
Sadiqi anchored in Urupukapuka Bay, BoI