Friday 13 June 2014

Trinidad and Grenada


I arrived back in Trinidad, after my half way around the world flights, on Sunday evening May, 18. It was very hot, dry and Sadiqi was covered in dust. There had been very little rain since I had left three weeks before. This makes a change from the mould and mildew that I had experienced when I left the boat in Malaysia.

Now the hard work began with cleaning and painting the bottom of the boat and doing innumerable chores while the boat was out of the water:
  • Two coats of bottom paint Jotun Sea Quantum Ultra.
  • Repairs to alternators. Serviced the engine.
  • Repairs to head sail stitching.
  • Food re-provisioning.
  • Cleaning the boat.
While in a boat yard I try, where possible, to still live on the boat – saving on accommodation expenses.

I was hoping to depart from Trinidad before the end of May. Forest fires burned in the dry hills near Chaguaramas dropping ash all over the boats. When the bamboo caught fire it sounded like a small war as the bamboo exploded with loud cracks and bangs. Thankfully, the forest fires did not appear to be much of a threat to the boat yards. Several days later it rained enough to settle the dust and put out the forest fires. 
Forest fires - Trinidad
I purchased a new Lenovo laptop to replace the defunct dell. I was given less than $100 US for the dell. I managed to resist the urge for instant gratification of smashing the defunct Dell 14z laptop, then soaking in sea water, even though I was sorely tempted after the run around I had been given by dell US. I retained the hard drive and after eventually updating windows h8 on the Lenovo, swapped the drives and loaded my preferred operating system Linux Mint Cinnamon. The Linux install was very easy and smooth.

Power Boats boat yard prides itself on service and it was one of the more pleasant haulouts that I have had. The facilities were good and clean, the staff friendly and professional. I had worked on a spreadsheet comparing the two boat yards; Powerboats and Coral Cove. Surprisingly, Powerboats came out cheaper for my size boat (30 feet). Coral Cove is cheaper if your don't use their chocks and scaffolding.

On 28 May Sadiqi was successfully re-floated.
I checked out of Trinidad on Thursday May 29, at midday I set sail for Grenada. In the Caribbean one gives Venezuela a very wide berth due to the increasing incidence of piracy and general lawlessness.

It was not an altogether unpleasant sail from Trinidad with mostly easterly winds at 15 to 20 knots in 1 to 2 metre seas. Sadiqi and the skipper got a good salt water wash to get the Trinidad dust and ash off. With Smithy the wind-pilot at the helm and a fresh clean bottom Sadiqi made good speeds. Around midnight I reduced sail to the head sail only, as we were going to arrive in Grenada before day break.
I dropped anchor at 7.00am Friday morning in Prickly Bay.

On Saturday May 31, 2014 it was four years since Sadiqi departed from her home port of Fremantle, Western Australia halfway around the world. A lot of water has passed under the keel since then. Toby who sailed with me from Fremantle to Carnarvon is sailing the Indian Ocean on Sunflower. A big congratulations to Toby and Julie on their engagement.


In Grenada I was hoping to get more jobs done on Sadiqi.
Work up the enthusiasm to get the sewing machine out and do repairs to the awnings and canvas work. And update the blog.
Prickly Bay, Grenada
Prickly Bay being a social place I met up with:
Ted on “Aurora” from Texas.
Ian and Jacqui on “Blackhorn Lady from UK.
John on “Sebastian” from California.
Phil and Faye on “Jig Saw” from Australia
Wayne and Tracy on “Margaret Ann” from South Africa.
Richard and Kathy on “Mr Curly” from Australia.

Spice Island boat yard was rapidly filling up with yachts with the approach of the Caribbean Hurricane season (1st June). The anchorages were also filling up as boats headed south where there is less probability of Hurricanes.

Grenada was tinder dry and brown with the dry season. The tropical waves began to assert themselves at the beginning of June bringing much needed rain. By the middle of June I could discern a slight green tinge on the lawns of the mansions that overlook Prickly Bay.