Tuesday 14 January 2014

Grenada - January


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenada
http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Grenada

Currency: Eastern Caribbean Dollar EC 2.6 = US$1.00

I was very relieved to arrive in Prickly Bay, Grenada and drop anchor at 1300 hours. The skipper was very weary and stiff from having helmed most of the time. After securing the boat the skipper went for a nap before heading into the authorities to check in. I actually checked in the next day. The Immigration and Customs people were polite and efficient. The cost of entry into Grenada was US$25.


Prickly Bay
Prickly Bay
It has been awhile since Sadiqi has been in such salubrious surroundings. The second morning I woke from a nightmare hearing lawn mowers. I thought I was back in suburbia again. The growl of lawn mowers was coming from some of the mansions that surround Prickly Bay.

I headed for the nearest ATM to get some local currency. On the way I met up with Ian and Jacqui from Blackthorn Lady.

I enjoyed the cool breezes of Prickly Bay with winds between 10 and 20 knots mostly. I walked the 8 or so kilometres into St George the capital of Grenada. St George was clean and pretty many older buildings had been restored. 
 
St George, Grenada
The cruisers net at 0730 on VHF Ch66 each morning – a good information source for cruisers around the Grenada islands.

Sadiqi was anchored near another yacht flying an Australian ensign. I met up with Col and Katherine on “La Rochelle”. They had sailed from the Mediterranean a few months before. I was able to get a heap of useful info about Grenada from them. After La Rochelle left heading to Panama “Taipan” with David and Kris from Perth Australia sailed into Prickly Bay after crossing the Atlantic from South Africa. I had last seen Taipan in Telaga, Malaysia two years ago. 

Internet access was proving a challenge in Grenada with sporadic WIFI access or expensive Wireless Broadband.