Monday 1 November 2010

Langkawi

Langkawi – a duty free archipelago made up of 99 islands on Malaysia’s north west coast – is the country’s best-known holiday destination. Surrounded by stunning turquoise sea, the interior of the main island is a mixture of paddy fields, rubber planations and rain forrest covered hills. Despite the number of resorts dotted around the islands it was not over crowded as Phuket appeard to be. Exchange rate – roughly 3 Malaysian Ringgit to $US1.00

Friday night I had dinner on "Black Swan" with Nelson, Claude and friends of theirs; Rob and Trisha. Rob and Trisha had sailed their Sadler 25 foot yacht "Bluet" from the UK. They have been living on "Bluet" mostly in the Mediterranean for the past 10 years. Heck and I thought Sadiqi’s 30 feet was small. Amazing a difference a few feet can make. Saturday was a very slow day nursing a sore head for some reason. It was a very pleasant evening.

Nelson had to go to Phuket to get some engineering done on his engine. He lent me the motor bike he had hired. I would not attempt to ride a motor bike in Phuket as I’m sure my guardian angle would abandon me. Nelson visited a friend in a Phuket hospital who had almost not survived a motor cycle accident there recently. I had the pleasure of Claude’s company for a few days. Riding a motor bike in Langkawi was relatively easy – the roads, traffic lights and general infrastructure are all very good. In fact after Indonesia and even Thailand Langkawi is very civilised by comparison. I did, however, have two disconcerting flat tyres while riding the bike.

November – a Tropical Depression passed in a North Easterly direction over Phuket, with strong winds affecting Langkawi. Many yachts made for the safe havens of Telaga and Rebak Marina’s anticipating the worst. Black Swan headed to more sheltered and a less crowded anchorage. I chose to stick the storm out in the “frog pond” outside Telaga Marina. As usual around midnight the wind howled. The CQR anchor dragged not once but twice! After the second slide down the anchorage, fortunately with out hitting any other boats, I changed over to the Admiralty/Fisherman’s anchor. B-anchor just was not holding in the mud and what ever else was at the bottom of the frog pond. The Admiralty/Fisherman’s anchor held fast.

I finally found the leak that nearly caused me to abort the trip to Cocos Islands back in June. Some bright spark had sealed the limber holes with epoxy that allows water to drain from hidden compartments into the bilge.