Monday 12 July 2010

Carnarvon

Saturday, the day after our arrival in Carnarvon, was wet – it rained
all day. It was a great day to rest and recover and check for all the
leaks above the water line, which I discovered, there were many. Water
seeped out of some very weird places. I’m not sure if the 100% humidity
and anhydrous salt content had anything to do with it.
The anchorage in the Carnarvon Fascine is great – one can not get much
closer to the town centre. Carnarvon Yacht Club, which I was a member
of back in 1984, had not changed a great deal. The yacht marina is a
new addition and other than a few extensions on the original club house
not much had changed. People on boats in the fascine use the yacht club
facilities - laundry, toilet and hot showers for a charge of $40.00 per
week.
I had to get more fuel – walked into town, found a supermarket shopping
trolley and wheeled the jerry cans to the service station, about 2 ks
out of town. I had to chuckle as it must have looked a bit odd filling
up a shopping trolley full of jerry cans. The guy behind the counter
did not bat an eye. He asked if I was on a boat and offered me a
discount. Oh well.
Friday night at the Carnarvon Yacht Club members and visiting yachties
get together for drinks and a meal. The yacht club social event of the
week. I had lived in Carnarvon in 1984 so it was a bit of a walk down memory
lane. I had been a passionate windsurfer, back then, and used to race,
wave jump and teach windsurfing in the Carnarvon area. For a short time
I was a business partner in a windsurfing/surf shop called
“Waterworks”. Those were the days.
While in the calm waters of the fascine it was an opportunity to do
work on the boat:
  • Installing new masthead tricolour and anchor light.
  • Installing HF radio and Pactor modem to enable email over HF radio
    and receive weather fax.
  • Preparing for the next leg.
  • Rebedding and sealing chain plates and other possible deck leaks.